Monday, April 5, 2010

Credit Reports

Within the past year I was notified that my personal information was compromised when two companies I had done business with had their computer systems hacked. I spent a few minutes today checking my and my husband's credit report. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp It was totally free and a lot easier to navigate than I remember in the past. The first page gives a synopsis of your personal credit report and contains links that give details about potentially negative items, accounts in good standing, requests for your credit history, and personal information.

There are three credit reporting agencies, Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax. Everyone is entitled to check each report once a year for free. If you start with the first company, Experian, and don't find any discrepancies, then check back four months later with TransUnion, then four months later with Equifax. I alreaady marked on my calendar in August and December to check the credit reports. However, if you find major discrepancies with the first report it's probably best to check all three at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment