Saturday, February 11, 2012

How I saved $25 on kids clothes in one hour!

Bins of "Save for Later" clothes.

A couple times a year I run through a routine of cleaning out my kid's closets. I tell the kids we are having a "Fashion Show" and they try on nearly every piece of clothing they own. I make a pile of clothes they've outgrown and put them into five piles: still fits, pass on to friends/family, too big/save for later, yard sale, and throw away.

This round was initiated because my son was complaining that a lot of his school shirts were too tight and he was running out of shirts by the end of the week. I first looked online to see what The Children's Place had in stock and three new shirts with coupons and tax would cost about $25.

The yard sale pile.

Prior to making a trip to the mall, my son and I headed to his closet. After an hour sorting through nearly 100 items while my son was busy making faces in the mirror and inventing new ways to put on a shirt that didn't require the use of hands I realized that my son had outgrown about 1/3 of this clothes. However, he still had seven school shirts that fit perfectly, and we came across about a dozen items that still had tags on them.


So in the end there was no need to spend $25 on new shirts, he has plenty of school shirts and I will probably make about $30 from his old clothes at the next yard sale. Tomorrow, I'll take advantage of the three day weekend and tackle the girl's closet, wish me luck!

That's one organized closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment